If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I hate nose-pickers. If I see someone picking their nose in public, I will tweet about it, tell you where I am and what this person looks like. I am the Nose Picking Police. I donâ€™t know why nose picking is so popular, but it clearly is. By the way; note to nose picking drivers everywhere â€” WE CAN SEE YOU. Here are 12 things to do today to further your career and improve your online profile using LinkedIn, instead of sitting around picking your nose.
- Upload your e-mail contacts from all sources.
- Get your profile to 100% by completing all of your information and adding a photo (of your face . . . and a recent shot.)
- Develop a keyword-rich professional headline â€” the headline is NOT your title but should be searchable phrases to attract people to you.
- Rename the default Website and Blog settings to personalized names including the name of your company and what it is that you do.
- Add your Twitter account and the Tweets application â€” follow your connections on Twitter.
- Write a recommendation for a colleague, partner or friend (and hope they return the favor).
- Google thyself â€” do you like what you see when your LinkedIn profile shows up in Google results?
- Delete connections youâ€™ve accepted that are with people with whom you donâ€™t truly have a business relationship.
- Add your skills to your profile.
- Join a group that interests you.
- Manage how often you get updates or notifications (I have it set up so I donâ€™t get ANY notifications â€” preferring to log in to the site and see whatâ€™s new there.)
- Write updates regularly, sharing articles of interest, blog posts and upcoming events.
Look out nose pickers â€” Iâ€™m watching you.