Say you’ve decided to a) run for office b) accept a high-profile job c) step into the spokesperson role for your organization.
Alert the media! But maybe you’ve never talked to a reporter before. Yikes, right? Here’s a quick checklist to help you prepare:
- Write out the most important items you want to cover in the interview.
- Identify the core theme of your message — are you serving kids? Immigrants? Tech gurus? What people do you serve? Make sure all your messages are about them.
- Practice — enlist a friend to pretend to interview. No friends? email me: email@example.com
- Is this a TV interview? Prepare what you will wear. On camera, make eye contact with the reporter. Slow down, and engage with that person as if there is no camera.
- Anticipate difficult questions, and take extra time to prepare for them.
Break a leg! You’re going to be just fine.